Have you ever seen those folks on Twitter who post the same stuff over and over again? Link after link to the same article or the same elevator pitches rehashed a gazillion times. Ugh. It gets boring pretty quick and even starts to look spammy if you keep that behavior up long enough.
So in order to avoid becoming a social media robot, you need to make sure your social strategy is balanced in several areas. In this article I will show you six quick suggestions for bringing balance to your social media efforts so that you can stand out from the crowd.
1. Post different kinds of content
This tip is simple enough. Don’t always post the same junk, or even the same type of content. For example, try to balance the number of links your post with quotes, statements, questions and more. When someone looks at your social media stream, they should be able to quickly see that you like to engage with your audience in several different ways. While I like to use a lot of quotes because they usually create more engagement, even this can be overdone. Make sure you don’t focus on one type of post, no matter how much you want to.
2. Participate on several different platforms
If you’re like me, you have a favorite social media platform. Mine is Twitter and I often have to remind myself to spend time raising brand awareness on some of the less popular platforms such as Tumblr or Klout. While you shouldn’t spread yourself too thin and try to be everywhere at once, you should focus on building a diverse social presence on at least the big four social platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and LinkedIn). Try to balance your time accordingly in order to maximize your social reach.
3. Switch up text with images and videos
Several marketing studies have shown that images and videos get a much higher response on social networks (especially Facebook and Google+) than text alone. If your normal social media content consists of text-based posts or links, switch things up by adding a mix of images and videos for good measure. While this content might take longer to create, the response will almost certainly be worth it.
4. Spend your time wisely
There’s a lot more to social media than just posting updates and sharing content. You should also actively seek out new folks to follow, engage with them in simple conversations, thank your existing followers, search for and respond to questions, retweet or share what others have posted and favorite or like things that look interesting. These are all ways in which you can stay active on social media platforms without even posting content of your own. Many folks seem to forget about this side of social media, which is unfortunate, because there is so much hidden value here.
5. Don’t make it all about you
Make sure you’re sharing the work of others in addition to sharing your own links. Social media is not about you. It is about everyone else around you. Don’t make your social presence self-centered around you or your brand. As I’ve mentioned in a previous post, roughly 80% of the content you publish or share should pertain to things that really matter to your audience. The other 20% can be about you, your products or services.
6. Use scheduling tools effectively
You’re never going to be able to find balance in your social strategy without the effective use of scheduling tools. Two tools that I strongly recommend are Buffer and HootSuite. Buffer is my favorite currently, since it allows me to basically dump in a bunch of social updates and then pick the times I want them to be automatically posted to several different networks.
Now some people argue that the use of scheduling tools take the authenticity out of social media. I strongly disagree. I still personally add each and every one of my social updates to Buffer, so there’s nothing inauthentic about it as long as you do the same. Buffer and HootSuite just help me insure that I’m not bombarding someone with dozens of updates all within five minutes of each other If there’s just one tip you take away from this article, let this be it. Start using scheduling tools if you aren’t already doing so!
Well, that’s it for the list. I hope you found something useful here. However, there are many other ways to balance your social media efforts which I will try to cover in later articles. In the mean time, I’d love to hear your thoughts on the topic, so post a comment below and let’s get talking!