These days there’s a blog about virtually anything you can think of. Even if we just focus on blogs about marketing, the number of bloggers, blogs and blog articles are unimaginable.
Many folks feel that a lot of what is out there is just adding to the noise. Some claim there are over 1,500 new blog posts published every 60 seconds! While yes, I must say that there are a bunch of spammy, poorly written and boring blogs out there, that’s not a sufficient reason for you to keep from blogging.
So then, why should you blog? Here are 25 of my favorite reasons for blogging on a regular basis:
- It makes you a better writer and also a better communicator.
- It encourages you to keep learning.
- It is a way of achieving top-of-mind awareness among your audience.
- It helps you get better search engine rankings.
- It makes you think about complex ideas and how to simplify them.
- It can get you more business, both directly and indirectly.
- It gets the conversation started.
- It keeps your website relevant.
- It makes for great content to share on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc.
- It helps you build your brand.
- It helps you stand out from your competition.
- It builds your following.
- It gives you an avenue to keep in contact with your audience.
- It inspires your readers.
- It showcases your knowledge in your field.
- It helps you better understand the needs of your clients and customers.
- It encourages your readers to take action.
- It helps you come up with new ideas.
- It keeps Google happy.
- It helps you convert grandiose ideas into something organized and focused.
- It expands your network, both online and offline.
- It personalizes your website and your brand.
- It may land you speaking engagements, media interviews or job offers.
- It gives you and your site credibility.
- It is fun, once you start seeing some of the above results!
I should mention, if you read this and just don’t know how to get started blogging, the best way to begin is to just jump in and start writing (or vlogging if that’s your thing). WordPress, Tumblr, Blogger and Posterous are some of the best blogging platforms out there and all of them offer free options.
Lastly, this is not a complete list (and never will be). Feel free to share the reasons why you blog in the comments section below or on Twitter by clicking here. I’m looking forward to hearing what you have to say!