You’ve probably heard of the 80/20 rule (or Pareto principle) before. If not, here’s a quick overview from Wikipedia:
The Pareto principle … states that, for many events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes.
Guess what? This rule can be used to your advantage within your social media marketing campaign. It is simple, really.
80% of the content you publish or share should pertain to things that really matter to your audience. The other 20% can be about your products and services.
Obviously, these aren’t hard numbers. Just try to keep your self-promotion to a minimum when engaging through social media channels.
Unfortunately, many folks seem to think it is okay to reverse this ratio, or worse yet, post content that is entirely self-centered promotional garbage. That’s the quickest way to an “unfollow” or an “unlike” in my book.
As internet marketing consultant Ryan Adams states:
Some businesses only post sales pitches to their Facebook Fan Page. There is certainly room for sales on Facebook and social media marketing is a great medium for contests and giveaways to increase fan followings. However, you will have the best success if you combine industry news and developments as well. No fan wants to hear a sales pitch from you every day. Keep them interested with a well rounded social media marketing campaign.
Are you still wondering why the 80/20 rule matters? Well, people don’t want to get “sold” when they’re browsing their Twitter and Facebook feeds. To some extent, we’ve all be conditioned to ignore this type of blatant sales content, subconsciously.
So, by ensuring that the majority of your social content is fun, engaging and devoid of an direct sales pitch, you can increase your chances of getting seen amid the rest of the clutter. And that, after all, is the goal. Right?